Thursday, February 19, 2009

Baby Update

I wish there was an easy way to write this but I don't think there is. I had my 20 week ultrasound and there was a possible defect identified. I was sent to a specialist and had an ultrasound done on Monday that confirmed the diagnosis. Our sweet little baby boy will be born without a left forearm or hand. The doctor called it an upper extremity terminal transverse reduction birth defect. These types of defects occur in one of every 3,000 births. There was also some fluid detected in the kidneys but they don't think this is related and the issue should resolve itself. Everything else looked good. His brain is developing normally and all his other extremities are intact. The doctors also think they saw a left elbow joint which is good for when we decide to have a prosthetic fit. BJ and I are still very excited for this little one but this news brings a lot of unanswered questions and fears. I would not trade this child in a million years and I am just so grateful for my family and friends who have been so supportive. Thank you! Thank you! And we will keep you all updated.

9 comments:

Brett and Rachel said...

Christie, it seems like you are handling this so well. I'm so impressed! When Brett first told me I felt so bummed, but then I realized that this just makes him even more special than he already would have been. You guys will be so blessed to raise one of Heavenly Father's choice children. And I'm sure he'll still be just as adorable and sweet as Brady is, although I'm a little concerned about Brett and BJ's plan to give him a chainsaw prosthetic! :) And please don't let BJ name him Nemo or Luke Skywalker!

I can't wait till we get to see you guys and all the new babies!

Bj and Christie said...

thanks Rachel, I just keep telling myself it is going to be a lot harder for me than for him. He won't know any different. Bj also thought about a flame thrower prosthetic and a shirt that says" I did not keep my arms inside the ride!" I think our dark humor is going to make this situation a lot easier!

JR and Brynn said...

Our hearts and prayers are with you and your little guy right now. We are so proud of how incredibly well you are handling this. We are so happy and relieved to hear that everything else looks good. That is such great news. We can't wait to meet this special little guy of yours. He is going to be such a champ. Until then, we continue to pray for his development. Heavenly Father could not have sent him to more perfect parents to turn limitations into strengths. Love you guys.

mIcHeLLe said...

Christie.....your two boys are going to have so much fun together! I LOVE having two boys together....I am sorry about the news you recieved at your u/s...that is hard...I think we all (esp. nurses) get so worried about what they may find...and you and I both know there are a LOT worse things out there, right? I love your humor about this..because it is what it is..and may as well move forward and put it in a positive light...I hope to see you soon! I have been working a lot more...take care.

Bridget said...

you are AMAZING!!!

Branch said...

You have such a good attitude about it! I hope all continues to go well with your pregnancy! I think the Lord knows who will be good parents for things like that and you and BJ are such sweet people and you will do so great raising him and being such great parents!

Justin, Shaylee, Mercedez and Sawyer said...

Christie....sorry to hear about the news, but you will be such good parents!!! And there really are so many things out there that will help and there will only be more and more in the future. I admire you and your positiveness, (is that a word? :)Hope to see you at work sometime! It seems I never see you anymore!

Wilson 5 said...

Hey you two!! I won't go into how great technology is now-a-days...that is the last thing I want to hear when I tell people my kiddo is going to have a cleft lip/palate. When you know your child is coming with a defect, the emotions are like a roller coaster! If ya need to vent, just because you are ticked about things, but still are excited for this little guy, and really do feel blessed but just need to vent...call me up. I haven't said anything about my kiddo's birth defect, but I doubt many people who read your blog know who i am so there ya go!Hang in there you two...uh three! love you guys
Teya

Heidi said...

Hey Christie, My name is Heidi. Michelle Peterson sent me a message through facebook about your baby. Email me and we can chat. I had a son with a deformed left hand and 2 abnormal feet. He had to have his feet amputated when he was 1 yr old. He's 11 now and is going strong. hpsaunders@hotmail.com
Hope to hear from you.